Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Value of Project Lead the Way

I sit at my computer station for Digital Electronics now. After just eighty minutes of Jazz Ensemble rehearsal where intense feelings mix with hypocritical thinkings, I sit here, bored out of my mind wondering what the hell I should do.

I do this every other day, day after day, week after week. Sitting at my computer for Digital Electronics.

On occasions (now usually known as 'special occasions') we get an assignment to complete. The groupies and I complete it in all due speed, making the project into a team effort so that we can complete it in minimal time. We soon return to online chats that bypass surf control, enjoying the time before the work begins next block; English.

Our teacher doesn't care, really. I can recall a day a group of us students downloaded Quake and hooked up to a server for multiplayer action. Teacher made a round of the computers, walking behind child after child not designing circuits, but playing Quake. Everyone looked at each other, the same message engraved into our face: "Uh-oh, the shits hit the fan now." Nah, teacher didn't scold us for such actions, but rather asked us where we got it. He wanted it for his computer too. I guess multiplayer action is too intense to resist, even for the most pompous of us.

We had two grades for the entire quarter. A test taken in class, which wasn't graded, in which everyone got a hundred. And a breadboard assignment. Everyone did it for another one hundred.

So I sit here at my computer station in Digital Electronics with a one hundred average, but not knowing what the hell I should know.

This works.

Until the final...

1 comment:

  1. Are you saying that you are not learning a lot from Leighton. After all in his class we have learned: how to remotley shut down a computer, play the fantastic contraption game, use the proxy on seans website, chat on seans website, and many many more things. When i say that we learned this from leighton, i mean that by his lack of cirucculum we have had the time to amuse ourselves

    ReplyDelete